These assessments are required by the state to make schools accountable for student academic performance.
- Students in Grades 3-8 and 10 take the Smarter Balanced Assessment (SBAC) in English language arts and mathematics. These tests are aligned to the Common Core State Standards. Students must attempt to pass the assessments given in high school to fulfill state graduation requirements.
- Students in Grades 5, 8 and 11 take the Washington Comprehensive Assessment of Science (WCAS). These tests are aligned to the Next Generation Science Standards. Students must attempt to pass the assessment given in high school to fulfill state graduation requirements.
The district conducts additional diagnostic testing of student learning to provide teachers and school leaders with data showing student growth and where instructional adjustments are needed.
- Kindergartners take the Washington Kindergarten Inventory of Developing Skills (WaKIDS) to assess student readiness for kindergarten in math and reading.
- First-grade students take the Oral Reading Record (ORR) assessments of our Benchmarks English language arts curriculum in reading in the fall, winter and spring and the i-Ready assessments for math in fall, winter and spring.
- Students in Grades 2-8 take the i-Ready assessments for reading and math in the fall and winter. Additional testing in the spring is optional, and given after state testing is completed.